Friday, March 24, 2023

Five Minute Friday: Follow



Today I am participating in Five Minute Friday, where a group of writers get together and free write about a one word prompt for 5 minutes. Today's word is "follow."


But Peter followed Him at a distance, right up to the courtyard of the high priest. And he went in and sat down with the guards to see the outcome-Matthew 26:58 (BSB)


Sat down with the guards? What?


I have read this story multiple times. But today, when I looked up some Scriptures for the word follow, this came up, and I noticed something new! Don’t you love when that happens?


I have always thought Peter was afraid from the get-go. He boasted after the Passover meal that he would follow the Lord to death. Remember?


Well, apparently he wasn’t lying. Or at least he didn’t think he was…and he wasn’t, at least not until the very last minute.


If you remember, the guards come to arrest Jesus. Peter apparently had a sword, and cut off the high priest servant's ear whose name was Malchus. So far, Peter is holding to his promise to Jesus.


And then they take Jesus. Peter follows, from a distance the Bible says. But then look at what happens next.


“But Peter followed Him at a distance, right up to the courtyard of the high priest. And he went in and sat down with the guards to see the outcome”-Matthew 26:58 (BSB)


The Berean Study Bible says he sits down with the guards. Many translations use the word “guards". Others use the word officers, and some use the word servants. I looked the word up in Greek and it means “an underling, servant.” It is often used in many other places in the Gospels and it is translated as officers, attendants, ministers, servants, and helpers.


I have often thought of Peter as losing his courage in the garden, but it doesn’t seem so. He follows Jesus, even after he cuts off Malchus’ ear. He follows Him all the way to the high priest’s courtyard. That would be inside the home’s area.


If you read further on in the story, chapter 26 moves into the religious leaders questioning Jesus. They eventually decide that He is “deserving of death.”(Matthew 26:66) Right after they decide this is when the high priest’s servant girl approaches Peter, and this is when the denial starts.


Peter had been full of courage, but the longer he sat there, it drained. Maybe he heard what was happening inside, and realized they were really going to put Jesus to death. Maybe it hadn’t been real to him. Remember at one point he had corrected Jesus and told him that He would never die. See Matthew 16:21-23. Jesus rebuked him at that moment.


Maybe Peter did not believe Jesus was really going to die, until it began to dawn on him, after his adrenaline had gone down, while sitting, waiting in the courtyard.


Why bring this up? Sometimes I think we think we know everything in Scripture, because we have heard the stories many times, especially if we have been Believers for a while. But it is always worth another look. We will learn something new about God, and something new about ourselves.


Peter followed Jesus, up to almost the very end. I love this story because it teaches us about mistakes. Even if we are moving along, doing what we are supposed to be doing, and then trip and make a mistake, the Lord knew about it before it happened. And He is not holding it against us. He still has a job for us to do. To learn more about it, read John 21 and the story of Jesus and Peter by the sea of Galilee, where they first met.


Don’t you just love this about Jesus? Keep following Him. He still has stuff for you to do.


*Have you ever had an experience like this with the Lord? I'd love to hear about it. 

Many blessings,
Beth 🌴




19 comments:

  1. Yes! He still has stuff for us to do, and things for us to learn, and people for us to love. He's not done with us in spite of our mess-ups!
    (Your FMF neighbor 😊)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauri for the reminder that He still has things for us to learn and people for us to love! That's so good!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't ever really remember feeling brave like Peter. I sometimes feel like the Israelites wandering around the desert with my complaining. I get overwhelmed take my eyes off of Jesus forget all that he has brought me through. I am thankful for the reminder to focus on Jesus. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jolene. I think all of us are still learning how to follow Him.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your insight, noticing that Peter sat down with the guards. No matter how many times we read chapters in the Bible, something new strikes us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I really like that too, that we can never exhaust the Word, and there is always something new to learn.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed you "slowing down" Peter's actions, Beth. Where I have experienced something similar is the story of women in the Bible who are pregnant. For example, Job lost all 10 of his children, then he had 10 more children. That is 10 pregnancies of 9 months each, breastfeeding, weaning, child training, etc. The Jewish women had their children 2-3 years a part, so that little sentence of them having 10 more children equals 20-30 years. Even if they had twins, it would be 10-15 years. Yet, we read through that account lightning fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Lisa! That's a great observation. Thank you for sharing. I had never considered that before. I like learning about women in the Bible, so I am going to add this to my study file.

      Delete
  6. Great observations about WHEN Peter's courage really failed. I think you're right about him faltering after the death sentence was given, and in a way, can we blame him? In any case, I also love the truth that Jesus forgave and restored Peter, and still had a job for him to do if he would follow. Loved your insights and encouragement today! Visiting from FMF#11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kym for stopping by! You are welcome. It's amazing how one word can just change our perspective. My eyes just happened to fall upon the word "guards" that time when reading the Scripture. God is good.

      Delete
  7. Beth, I love when I learn something "new" in Scripture. I can read something many times, then boom, hey, look at that, or hey, I just got that. I love your message; so wonderfully spoken.
    FMF#15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! It is so encouraging to me, especially when I have issues in my life, that are still not resolved. Maybe, I just need an answer that I don't currently have, and it's in there.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I will be brave and bold
    and courageous, yes it's true,
    right up to when what I'm told
    is not what I would like to do.
    They say that martyrdom is cool,
    and represents a victory,
    but I was not raised a fool,
    and it was really not for me.
    I thought I could do so much better
    getting on by getting by,
    with no chain, no galling fetter,
    and I think that feeling's why
    God left me with no other choice
    than to speak through cancer's voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew for stopping by. I appreciate you. I am not sure I would have had the courage Peter had, although maybe his adrenaline was also involved in his incident with Malchus and the sword.

      Delete
  9. I love it whenever the Holy Spirit shows me something new in scripture. I never took notice of Peter sitting with the guards either. It is so reassuring to know that God knows us and He doesn't hold our mistakes against us. FMF #8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too Lori! I am so thankful that we are always learning, and the Lord wants to show us new things.

      Delete
  10. Great insight. I had never thought of that.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hadn't noticed it before either! I love it when that happens. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete