Friday, March 10, 2023

Five Minute Friday: Choose





Today I am participating in Five Minute Friday, where a group of writers get together and free write about a one word prompt for 5 minutes. It's been a while since I've joined in. Today's word is "choose."


Choose


This word often makes me think of that Robert Frost poem, “The Road Not Taken.”


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood…


I sometimes have a hard time choosing. I am in the middle of making a decision right now. I want to choose the right thing, but there is one thing I really want to do, and I am not sure if it is the right thing.


But, if I choose the other way, I feel as though I might be robbing myself of an opportunity.


Have you ever felt that way?


What do you do when you have to choose between two things?


My first course of action is to pray. I pray and try to get quiet and listen.


Often I will ask others to pray as well, people I trust, who I know have my best interest at heart.


I will also talk to my husband about it. He is the closest to me, and knows our family situation the best.


I will also talk to friends about my choices.


Things that might come in and try to help make my decision for me are fear and guilt. So, I must keep those at bay and only rest in the goodness of the Lord.


What do you do when you have to make a choice and choose between two things?


Choose.

16 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you came back to write today! Thank you for writing and sharing for I am encouraged by your honest pondering over how to choose the best for yourself and for your family. Two are better than one!
    Eyes on Jesus and shine,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I am glad you are glad!! It made me happy too, to write something new again. Thank you for stopping by and for your encouragement.

      Delete
  2. The road you did not choose to take
    shimmers, dances, bright with bling,
    to say you made a bad mistake,
    but that doesn't mean a thing
    for it is just a ghost, you see,
    imaginative figment,
    no more than a portrait might be
    a person 'stead of pigment.
    So don't look left and don't look right;
    above all, don't look back,
    for out there in the darkling night
    there lies the worst attack
    that in this life you'll ever get,
    the pummeling of vain regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, such wise words! I love this. I can never decide which of your writings is best. You do a great job!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Andrew! This was so encouraging! I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Chosen to do great things with the wisdom and guidance and gentle nudges! Chosen by the one who created you! Prayer and seeking wisdom from family and friends will guide you to make those difficult choices! Do not look left do not look right look straight ahead! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is great! Thank you for your encouragement, and for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Beth, it sounds to me as if you are doing all the right thngs! I love what you said: rest in the goodness of the Lord. Often, He is so good, His will is the desire already planted in our hearts. If you delight in Him, I'm sure it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes it is hard to make a decision or choice, something will always be missed either way, I suppose you need to choose what you can live without? FMF22

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your honesty in this post! "The Road not Taken" is one of my all time favorite poems. As I pray about a decision, I will often wait and see where I feel the most peace. The Holy Spirit will always lead us in peace. FMF #12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. That has been what has helped me make this decision. I appreciate you confirming this.

      Delete
  7. Like you, Beth, I sit before the Lord and listen. I also use James 3:17 as a test of what I'm hearing or if there is silence, then what I am sensing.

    "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." ~James 3:17 NASB

    I look to see what is pure, what is peaceable, what is gentle, what is reasonable, what is merciful, what has good fruit, what doesn't waver, what doesn't have hypocrisy...usually by the time I get to the end of the list, it is pretty clear; if not, then I sit before Him awhile longer.

    May the Lord give you wisdom regarding your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. You just helped me learn something new. What do we do if there is silence? That can be a good indicator itself of what we are supposed to do. I like that Scripture in James! That is very helpful.

      Delete