Saturday, September 17, 2022

Five Minute Friday: Spontaneous



Today I am participating in Five Minute Friday, where a group of writers get together and free write about a one word prompt for 5 minutes. Today's word is "spontaneous."


I used to be spontaneous, but not so much anymore. I don’t know if that comes with life as a parent, and you have to be a little scheduled. There’s not much room for spontaneity anymore. I am trying to remember the last time I was spontaneous. Doing this writing challenge is spontaneous sometimes. Ha ha!

I think when we remove the spontaneity, we remove some of the joy out of life. It removes some of the element of surprise! And maybe we need some surprises. Things can be so controlled, especially if we are the ones who are trying to control them-that can take away some of the fun.

Maybe this should be a challenge for me. Maybe I should try to be more spontaneous. Maybe life would be more fun. I plan and plan and fret and fret about whether I am making the right choices. With spontaneity, you don’t have time to worry about if it is the right choice. Because you just do it and go with it. Then you really have to trust God, instead of yourself.

I imagine the disciples experienced lots of spontaneous moments during their walk on earth with Jesus, and even after He went back to Heaven. One particular one I am thinking about is Philip. In the book of Acts, the Holy Spirit tells him to go join himself to a chariot, which means basically to go introduce yourself I guess.

So, Philip goes and meets the treasurer I believe, for Candace, Queen of the Ethiopians. That man is reading the book of the prophet Isaiah. He is trying to figure out who Isaiah is talking about, and because of the Holy Spirit’s prompt with Philip and some spontaneity, the man finds out it was Jesus.

Then, in what was another spontaneous moment for Philip I am sure, Philip was whisked away by the Holy Spirit to the coast of Israel. My son has asked me recently about teleportation. It would seem that Philip experienced that in the Spirit. That would have been seriously spontaneous for me; not what I would have been expecting at all.

I believe also Philip spends the rest of his days, or at least part of them, on the coast, in Caesarea Maritima. He is there because of something out of his control. I think I would be happy living out my days on the Mediterranean.


*Note: To read more about Philip, please visit the book of Acts, chapters 8 & 21.

14 comments:

  1. Spontaneity is definitely harder as we "mature". But it can be so freeing.

    FMF 25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Barb. I need to work on it, because you are right. It has gotten harder since I have matured.

      Delete
  2. Beth, I love your post!! Please keep writing. I'm often wondering what it would have been like hanging around with Jesus. So many spontaneous things, scary oftentimes. I think as we get older and go through many disappointments, we feel the need to control life to avoid more disappointment. God is teaching me that He can be trusted to create spontaneous moments in my life. Kath, your FMF neighbour at #5 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kath, for your kind and encouraging words!

      Delete
  3. Beth,
    You are not alone, We may not admit is easily, but in one way or another we are all working on our spontaneity.
    H Emma

    Ps. Found my way here from Five Minute Friday writing prompt link up
    || https://thextraordinarionly.com/spontaneous-fmf-writing-prompt-link-up/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your post Beth. I think we still have spontaneous moments every day though. Spontaneously breaking out in song, smiling, or laughing. They aren’t the big moments that we used to have before kids/family but they are still there. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Jen Icenhour. It wouldn’t let me sign in.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jen for stopping by and taking the time to read my post. I like what you said about spontaneity not having to be big moments.

      Delete
  5. Pedal's floored, hands off the wheel,
    depending on my luck, not skill,
    and delight is what I feel
    in this ride down Deadman's Hill.
    You might think that I oughter
    take just a little care,
    but cancer gives no quarter,
    and so I do not dare
    to plan for a tomorrow
    that just ain't gonna be;
    best go out with no sorrow,
    and call it Victory
    that I did not let my heart bend
    and lived life to the very to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your words. Those are good thoughts, to live life to the full, abundantly.

      Delete
  6. You know I love this writing because it has my name in it. I have never thought about him in a teleporting since, I have never thought about how Holy Spirit moved him, I love that you bring out so much more of the Bible. I learn every time I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your encouraging words. I am glad you learned something new! I usually learn too when I write.

      Delete
  7. I agree with your observations about the disciples probably having a lot of spontaneous moments. It's something to ponder, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete