Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolutions




It is the time of year when everybody is making their New Year's resolutions. Usually, I don't join in with this tradition, but for some reason this year I felt compelled. I began thinking about what I wanted to accomplish this next year and where I wanted my family to go in life. As I was making these resolutions, it occurred to me I was not being specific enough, as most people usually aren't. Is it possible that is why people usually fail or do not follow through with their resolutions? Let me encourage you, be specific this year with your goals. Set them high. Even if you only achieve a portion of the goal, that is always better than nothing. Let me give you an example from my list. One of my resolutions was to read more. Well, that is not really a measurable goal. How am I supposed to know if I am accomplishing my goal? So, in order to be more specific, I decided to set my goal at one book a week, which in my opinion is achievable. If later on it seems as though that is not a reasonable or achievable goal, then I will modify, maybe to one book every two weeks. Either way I will have read either 52 or 26 books this year, which is considerably more than I did in 2009. I encourage you to set goals for yourself this year. Call it a goal or a resolution, whichever. You will achieve something new for yourself or your family and have a vision, and quite possibly develop a sense of purpose.

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."-Proverbs 29:18 King James Bible

1 comment: