Thursday, October 13, 2016

31 Days of Healing: Martha's Message From The Centurion's Wife







For today’s post I thought I would do something different.  I was going through some of my study notebooks, and I came across this excerpt from the Biblical fiction novel The Centurion’s Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke.  It is a short speech from Martha, the sister of Mary and Lazarus, when she is having a dialogue with the main female character, Leah. I thought it was so appropriate for what I have been writing about.  Even though it is a fictionalized account, it is entirely possible that some of these faith-filled thoughts ran through Martha’s mind about Jesus. I hope it blesses you and inspires hope in your heart.


"Mary and I have spent quite a bit of time with the Master.  I saw him teach, I saw him heal, I saw him dine with his disciples, I saw him leave, and I saw him return. And this is what I think: I believe every moment of his entire life has been spent setting an example.  Every breath, every act, ever word, carries message upon message upon message.  His every instant was meant to bring eternity into the moment and hope to this fallen world.  The death of my brother, our time of broken mourning, our loss of hope..."

It was Martha's turn to stop and struggle with her emotions.  Then she said, "He did this not only for us, but for everyone who witnessed that day.  And for those like you who hear of it.  He did this to show that even in the darkest hour, when there is no reason to go forward, no possibility of a better tomorrow, he is there to comfort, to guide, to heal.  He brings with him the gift of hope.  Impossible, glorious, joyful hope."
(Oke)

Oke, Davis Bunn & Janette. The Centurion's Wife. Minneapolis: Bethany House Publishers, 2009.




To read more in the series go here:




No comments:

Post a Comment