Friday, September 22, 2023

Five Minute Friday: Opinion

Photo by Harris Vo on Unsplash




Today I am participating in Five Minute Friday, where a group of writers get together and free write about a one word prompt for 5 minutes. Today's word is "opinion."

Begin.


After they had arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax came to Peter and asked, “Does your Teacher pay the two drachmas?”

“Yes,” he answered.

When Peter entered the house, Jesus preempted him. “What do you think, Simon?” He asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect customs and taxes: from their own sons, or from others?”

“From others,” Peter answered.

“Then the sons are exempt,” Jesus declared. “But so that we may not offend them, go to the sea, cast a hook, and take the first fish you catch. When you open its mouth, you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for My tax and yours.”

                                                             -Matthew 17:24-27 (BSB)


This is an interesting passage of Scripture. In it Jesus actually asks Peter’s opinion, what he thinks. Jesus likes to ask questions.

Has He ever asked you a question? I have had Him ask me questions before when He was trying to lead me to the solution to a question I had. It helped a lot.

In the above passage, He also uses the question to provide not only a solution to a current issue, but to do so in a supernatural, miraculous way.

Have you ever gone fishing before? Do you like to fish? I used to go fishing with my dad when I was a little girl. I remember because I would always get some kind of treat from the snack shop. We fished in a stocked pond. I am assuming this expedition for Peter took place in the Sea of Galilee since they were in Capernaum. But in all of my fishing trips, I have never gotten a fish that had a coin in its mouth. How would that even be possible?

Another interesting fact about this passage is that Jesus told Peter to cast a hook. This is the second time Jesus has told Peter to do something regarding fishing and a miracle happened. The first time was with the net-breaking catch of fish when Jesus called him to ministry. Do you think he was building in Peter that he was the solver of all problems?

I don’t think he needed Peter’s opinion, but He might have wanted Peter to arrive at the conclusion on his own.


Stop.

14 comments:

  1. interesting thought process.... sometimes questions do lead us to better answers within don't they? FMF14

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Annette! Questions have occasionally helped me arrive at the right solution.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I've ever thought about this as Jesus asking Simon's opinion, but what an interesting perspective! I have had the Holy Spirit ask my opinion, in a way - what did I want to do when faced with a decision? - and it was so wonderful to realize that both options were good and that my preference mattered to God. Visiting from FMF#5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Kym!! I learn something new almost every time I write these posts. I came across this discussion when I was searching for the word "opinion" in the Bible. I love how you shared that your preference mattered to God. That is so encouraging. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Jesus asking Peter a question in order to guide Peter in the direction of Truth is a microcosm of the holy tension we sometimes feel between heavenly things and earthly things. Thanks for these insights, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Lisa!! I appreciate your insight and you adding to the conversation as well! I learn something new almost every time I participate in these writing challenges.

      Delete
  4. Jesus asked a question
    one time when I was drinking.
    It was sort of a suggestion:
    'Mate, what are you THINKING?
    Will the world look better
    through the bottom of a can of beer?
    Will that unlock your fetters,
    or even make them 'bit more clear?'
    I thought quite hard 'bout what He said,
    and realized that He was right,
    so I poured a glass of wine instead
    'cause through the bottom I could see daylight,
    and He just laughed 'till He was spent.
    'Mate, that really wasn't what I meant!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so great!! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your gift. I love this scenario too. I can relate!

      Delete
  5. Beth, I love what you've written here. This>>"I don’t think he needed Peter’s opinion, but He might have wanted Peter to arrive at the conclusion on his own." Spoke to me today. I never thought of it like this. Pausing to reflect on your words today.
    FMF #2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula for stopping by!! I am glad this scenario encouraged you today. It makes me feel good when I find things like this in the Scriptures, about the character of Jesus, and know that it is the same experience as how He will or has interacted with me!!

      Delete
  6. I still like to go fishing; I wonder what Peter thought about himself and about Jesus when Jesus asked him questions. I think it increased his faith and made him feel closer to Jesus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! "I think it increased his faith and made him feel closer to Jesus."- This is something great to think on.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate you reading! I hope it was encouraging.

      Delete