Friday, November 30, 2018

Five Minute Friday: Deep





Today I am participating in Five Minute Friday, where a group of writers get together and write about a one word prompt for 5 minutes.  Today's word is Deep.

Begin 5 minutes.

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.-Ephesians 3:14-19 (NIV)


Paul prayed this prayer over the church at Ephesus.  I had this prayer on my wall for a really long time.  It probably needs to go back up!

In the prayer, he prays that they, they church at Ephesus, along with all the Lord's holy people, that is you and I, if you are a Believer, would grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Jesus.  This is an awesome prayer.  

Deep.  That word means not shallow.  If we look it up in the Greek, I am sure we will get a greater understanding and meaning of what Deep really means.

When I picture Deep, I picture myself in water over my head, where my feet cannot touch the bottom.  I am floating, surrounded by the water.  

Paul prayed that we would know how Deep is the love of Christ.  We are floating in it.  It surrounds us on ever side.  It is over our heads.  Our feet cannot touch the bottom.  We are completely covered in His love with no way of escaping.

In another passage of scripture Paul says nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of Christ.  If you have the same image of being in deep, deep water that is surrounding you, you can see why Paul would say that.

My prayer today is just like Paul's, that we would be able to grasp how deep the love of Jesus is, and just to let ourselves drown in that love.  That love doesn't remove our oxygen, but gives us life, just like a baby floating in the amniotic fluid in the mom's womb.  

Deep.

End 5 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment