Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Growing in Grace




But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.-2 Peter 3:18


Sometimes I just sit and reflect on my life, and how far God has brought me. I think people see where I am not and don't know where I started. And I think it is important for people to hear where we started, because they may have some of the same struggles we have dealt with. They will know they are not alone.

I can remember when I first rededicated my life to the Lord. That is what it looked like to me then, that I came back to Him. But it was actually Him coming and finding me first. Shortly after, while I was going to the community college in my hometown, I went to a Baptist Student Union event with the college at Ridgecrest, NC. I remember being there with the other students, and kids were sitting with their Bibles open intent on the words inside. I remember thinking, wow, how are they like that? How are they so absorbed in what is in there, and what God is saying? Why I am not like that?

Later, when I went to Bible school, I didn't even know where all the books of the Bible were. I had to turn to the Table of Contents at the beginning and look at the numbers and turn there. I couldn't pronounce places in the Bible. One time this guy in the kids class I was volunteering with, corrected my pronunciation of Capernaum. He was a second year student, so yeah. LOL.

I have been journaling since I rededicated my life in 1994, and I have had it in my heart for a long time to write devotionals. In 2007/2008, I began trying to share my thoughts publicly on a website called CafeMom. Some of it nobody read, probably because I didn't have much to say at that point. But eventually I had a few good (God) things to say. In 2009, I began this blog, and have been writing online ever since.

Occasionally I look around and try to compare myself to others because I might not be as successful as other people. And then, occasionally, I have moments like this morning, and I reflect on how far I have come. And it hits me, boom. Jesus has been teaching me. And I have been getting to know Him more and more and more.

I said all this to say that if you are just starting out in your walk with the Lord, and you don't know what is going on, and you feel like everybody is more spiritual than you, don't give up. Just keep listening to the love and prompting in your heart. He is faithful. And if you don't know Jesus yet, today is the day. It will be the best decision you ever make. He loves you beyond anything you will ever experience in this world.




No comments:

Post a Comment