Sunday, July 7, 2019

Fishers of Men



When I left my home in my early twenties to go to Bible school, I couldn’t see what lay ahead. I talk about this a lot because it was one of the larger, pivotal moments in my life. I don’t know what would have happened to me if I had stayed at home. I was still very fragile spiritually.

When I got to Oklahoma, I settled for two years to go to Bible school. Many people had their tuition paid supernaturally, which made me question whether I was even supposed to be there or not. I worked and paid my tuition monthly. My mom did give me my first payment.

When it came time to choose which program I was supposed to go into, I laboured a lot over the decisions. There were six choices, evangelist, pastor, missions, youth, childrens and helps ministry. I chose missions, partly because of my wanderlust, and partly because that’s all I could see myself doing.

One morning before the second year of school started, I was at home visiting my family. I was asleep on the couch when the Lord woke me up with a question, “What group do I want you to go into?, “ I believe he said. He answered his question for me, “The Pastor’s Group.”

Well, I had already made my 2nd year selection. So, I called the school and told them I thought I needed to change my group.They told me what I needed to do to change my group. I asked them how long I had to do this. They said, “Today is the last day. It was last week, but the dean extended the deadline.

Wow. I was like, “Oh my! Okay! I am on it! “

So, I went into the pastor’s group. And now, I am really glad that I did. Looking back, I couldn’t see myself clearly. But God could. He knew my purposes and His plans for me, even though I didn’t. Now, I am really happy with my life. I have a family, and I share Jesus while writing on my blog, in conversations with friends, and sometimes on video. Talking to people about God is something I have always wanted to do.  


Consider this story in Luke 5. These men had been fishermen, probably for a long time. The Bible doesn’t tell us how long, but I imagine that had been there profession for a while.  They saw themselves one way.  Jesus saw them another.

So it was, as the multitude pressed about Him to hear the word of God, that He stood by the Lake of Gennesaret, and saw two boats standing by the lake; but the fishermen had gone from them and were washing their nets. Then He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and taught the multitudes from the boat.

When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”

But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.-
Luke 5:1-7 (NKJV)

Sometimes God can see what we can’t. He sees you different than how you might see yourself. The story continues.

When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!-Luke 5:8

He is leading and teaching us to do things we never even dream of or even thought would be possible. But His end goal with all of is the same, to make us fishers of men.

For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken; and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.-Luke 5:9-11 (NKJV)

I am sure that I will look back on these moments right now with amazement, and there will be things he is training me for, that I cannot even see. He is doing the same with you. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. (Hebrews 13:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment